Minutes of the Benefits Committee meeting
January 19, 2000
Present: Paula Ebbitt, Greg Finnegan, Malcolm Hamilton, Beth Holmes, Emily Moss (Chair), Suz-Ann Olofson, Ann Whiteside (minutes)
Absent: Elaine Fadden, Amy Kautzman, Enith Vardaman
1. We briefly reviewed the activities of the Fall
2. We discussed collecting information on other, non-health and retirement, benefits that Harvard staff members receive. We are each to collect information about the museums, the museum gift shops, Innings and Outings, and businesses that offer discounts with Harvard IDs (Suz-Ann will call the Procurement Office about this). We will bring the information to the February meeting and decide how best to distribute the information.
3. We proposed holding an informational session on investing for retirement with representatives of Fidelity and Scudder. We agreed that we should hold off on this until final plans are announced regarding the new staff retirement plan.
4. We began planning for a session on financial planners. We would focus the session on what financial planners do; what services they offer; why one should hire a financial planner; how to find one; what questions to ask financial planners. Emily will ask Kyle Upton if she will be able to do this session for us, or if she can recommend someone to us. We would like to hold the session in late April.
5. Emily suggested that we hold an annual session on financial planning, focusing on a particular topic each session.
New Meeting Time: the third Tuesday of each month, at 9:00 a.m. The dates for the Spring were set: February 15, March 21, April 18, May 16.
Next meeting: February 15, 2000 at 9:00 a.m. at the Design School Library.