the Benefits Committee meeting
Present: Paula Ebbitt, Elaine Fadden (notes), Greg Finnegan,
Malcolm Hamilton, Beth Holmes, Amy Kautzman, Emily Moss, Ann Whiteside (chair)
Absent: Laurie Taylor-Teran
The meeting took place in Widener 88 at 9:15AM.
I. Our first topic was a review of the Personal Financial Education Group (PFE) workshops which took place on March 17. Malcolm and others reported that feedback was generally positive and enthusiastic.
- The second session had an unfortunate mix-up on its start-time. The presenter started at 1:30, but it was supposed to be 1:00.
- The second presenter spent too much time with stories.
- The "one-size-fits-all" format was a bit problematic when there were attendees with beginning, intermediate and advanced knowledge of financial planning and at different life stages.
- This first level program has many advantages for people at many levels.
- The format needs some tightening up.
- Several attendees were so happy about the program that they called Malcolm to express their appreciation.
II. The committee had previously discussed having someone from the Benefits office come to speak with the Committee. Gina Parris has said that she would like to do that and suggested some time in the fall when she has settled into her position.
III. Brainstorming on other presentation topics was our next topic.
- More financial planning workshops, similar to what we have just done.
- How and why to choose a financial planner.
- Cambridge Center for Adult Ed. as potential contact for leaders.
- A re-orientation to benefits program for longer term staff; an overview of all the benefits, both the "hard" healthcare, retirement and "soft" outings & innings, etc.
- We'll look at the Benefits booklet and evaluate whether we should do a session outlining the information in it.
- Information session on domestic partner health benefits.
- Probably would be more beneficial as a university-wide event provided by the Benefits office. We could encourage that office to look into it.
IV. Web site additions:
- Links to financial services web sites : Fidelity, Scudder, Vanguard, TIAA-CREF, etc.
- Also publicize on hulinfo when TIAA-CREF, etc. will be onsite for consultations.
- Link to the Social Security Administration site.
- Add Naomi Ronen, Reference Librarian, Law School Library - University Benefits Committee, Subcommittee on Health Plans and Suzanne Kemple, Associate Librarian and Head of Reference, Hilles Library, University Benefits Committee, Subcommittee on Retirement. to our page as members of the University Benefits Committee, as resources for library staff to contact with benefits questions or concerns.
Next meeting : April 21, 9:15 am Widener 88
Top | Benefits
Committee Home Page