Minutes of the Benefits Committee
December 2, 2004
Location: Law School Library Areeda 524
Present:OC, DM, JL, BK, TM, AD
- Review of LAEC from November
- This year's Ben Com presentations
- Child and parental benefits
- Tour of the MAC (gymnasium)
- Next meeting schedule and details
- DM and OC give an overview of the November LAEC meeting. Most notable is the great response that the LAEC had to the idea of a librarian's excursion to the MAC. They are less inclined to accept the idea of retirement presentation since central benefits office has scheduled a few sessions already for this year. The idea concerning parental benefits was also acceptable.
OC explains that events sponsored by the LAEC and the sub committees will now use a lottery-type of system when admitting attendees while scheduling an event. Example, Folks can email a response within 48 hours of receiving the message concerning a LAEC event. Those respondents will then be entered into a lottery (if the number of requests is greater than the number of allotted attendees). Those folks whose name is chosen will be entitled to attend the presentation; all others will be asked to re-enter the lottery next time the event is offered.
- OC explains that the group needs to decide on what the presentations will be and begin working and scheduling, ASAP.
- We decide to sponsor a discussion (title to follow) concerning working parents and benefits related to children (daycare, maternity leave, adoption etc) AD suggests that the talk be inclusive and exhaustive concerning the details and the stages and steps in the process(es). DM has spoken to the LAEC and already has their approval. It is suggested that we acquire a speaker from the wellness corp and have them speak for about 30 minutes and also have 2, 10-minute testimonials from folks who have used the daycare and adoption services. That will leave 10 minutes for questions.
We will try to schedule this for the week after commencement, which is held on Thursday June 9, 2005 this year.
- TM will investigate adoption
- JL will investigate daycare
- AM will investigate PR and communication
- DM will investigate buildings with Jane Hedberg from the LAEC
- TM will also investigate rooms at the Law school
- DM has some information regarding the MAC tour. Wendy at the MAC has stated that no more than 20 folks can attend the tour. Tour must be on a weekday from 1-3 PM and will take 20-30 minutes. Dates during the weeks of Feb 7th and Feb 14th are fine. DM will investigate the tour, schedule the times, and post announcements to HUL and HCL list serves. Tittle to be decided upon soon by the committee.
- Next meeting held on Wednesday January 5, at Houghton from 2-3 PM, JL will supply details and directions closer to the date.
Top | Benefits Committee Home Page