of the Executive Committee
October 18, 2000
Present: Amy Kautzman (Chair), Jan Voogd (Vice-Chair), Judi Beland, Joe Bourneuf, Karen Carlson Young (recording), Ken Carpenter, Paula Ebbit, Ethel Hellman, Lynda Kresge, Theresa Lyman, Karen Nipps, Enith Vardaman.
Absent: Malcolm Hamilton
Communications & Orientation
The tour of the recently renovated Loeb Design Library will be held on Wednesday, October 25, 3:30-5:00.
- Karen Carlson Young stated that 2 lunches for new librarians have been hosted and another 2 are scheduled. The response to the lunches has been very positive.
- Paula reported that the Committee is trying to plan the re-orientation session for professional staff with Paul Zizzo of the Benefits Services Group. However coordinating the date, time and meeting place is proving to be more of a problem than anticipated.
- Karen Nipps reminded the Committee of the presentation "The Vatican Library: A Historical Library Looking For Its Future" by Dr. Massimo Ceresa, Reference Librarian at the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Thursday, October 19, 2000, 1:00-2:30 in the Lamont Forum Room.
The Committee will lend its name to a Preservation program "Water water everywhere " on managing water disaster. This is a full day program scheduled for early December and will take place in the Lamont Forum Room.
Rights and Responsibilities
- Lynda reported that the Committee has not met and does not have any meetings planned because no issues have been brought to their attention.
- Lynda reported that she had done some cleanup of the website, both in terms of the coding and the arrangement of information. The question of whether to update the site and/or how much updating should be done was briefly discussed. A suggestion was made to revisit this issue at a future meeting.
- Amy distributed an outline of the fall Librarians’Assembly, which was then reviewed and details confirmed. The Committee reports and HUL update should be brief so that Ken has ample time for his talk
- Amy announced that the date for the spring Assembly has already been set for May 23, 2001 at 2:30 p.m. We now need to decide on the content of the meeting. Several suggestions for bringing in outside speakers were made and a discussion of the "goals" for the meeting was discussed. There was general agreement that trying to get a non-Harvard person is a good idea. The Committee needs to be thinking about the Assembly agenda for our next meeting.
Next meeting: Wednesday, November 18th, 3:00-4:00, Lamont Forum Room