Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


September 9, 2004

Present: Amy Boucher, Oliver Cutshaw, Laureen Esser, Carrie Haverman, Jane Hedberg, Renata Kalnins, Gloria Korsman (Chair), Connie Mayer, Sarah Phillips, Alix Reiskind

Absent: Donna Koepp, Tim Strawn

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Benefits - Oliver reported the committee has been discussing new directions and how to form programs that best serve the community; they feel it will be useful having someone familiar with human resources on the committee.

Communications & Orientation - Sarah and Carrie expressed a desire for feedback on the organization of the lunches last year (new librarians were invited to Librarian Luncheons throughout the year). They are questioning whether this gives new librarians enough opportunity to ask questions of their new colleagues. Possibly begin a once a semester lunch for new librarians and veteran librarians - either a brown bag or at a local restaurant - to give them an opportunity to meet more colleagues and ask questions. Gloria expressed that Wadsworth House was very pleased with the 3rd Thursday brown bag lunches last year. In addition to those, there was a BBQ over the summer that Carrie reported was a success. Brown bag lunches will continue this year on the 3rd Thursday of every month, 12-1pm in Lehman Hall. Gloria stated that committees can send announcements of events to Katherine at Wadsworth House for posting on the HUL Calendar. The committee is investigating another Harvard Yard tree tour and exploring the idea of a tour of Harvard buildings. Sarah introduced the idea of opening up the new librariansí tea to all librarians, thinking this might make for a more comfortable environment. LAEC was receptive to this idea.

Rights & Responsibilities - Renata reported she is scheduling the committeeís first meeting for the end of September. They have three new members joining this year. Renata will see if any members are interested in serving as a co-chair with her. She sent the links page (resources on professional ethics, core competencies, intellectual freedom and professional development/status) to Connie and will send out an announcement on HUL Info when it is posted. The committee has decided to scale back the patron privacy program to a smaller program, possibly looking at case studies in smaller groups.

Professional Development - Laureen presented several programs/ideas PDC is working on for the fall, including: 1) October 5 tour of the Harvard Depository - limited to 25 people due to transportation concerns; 2) October 20 program on CrossRef and Digital Object Identifier (DOI) System - the first of a year-long series focusing on innovation and technological change in libraries; 3) PDC wants to work on bringing more speakers to Harvard Librarians, so will spend time working out ways to do this.

Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Mentoring - Amy reported the committee met in July to discuss how to proceed without Pat Tully. They are planning on meeting again on the first Tuesday of the school year; Amy expressed concern about the make-up of the committee and would like to get broader representation, beyond HCL. She asked the LAEC for suggestions and to check with their committees for interest in joining committee.

LAEC GENERAL BUSINESS:

In July the LAEC voted to establish the Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Mentoring via email.

Gloria reminded committee chairs to send archives from the past year to her.

Website - Connie will meet with Peter Kosewski soon to look at the Librariansí Assembly website. In the meantime Connie will work to simplify our web pages by removing the table and frame formats. Connie will send out a format for minutes via email to standardize the way minutes are posted.

Gloria distributed a list of LAECís responsibilities to be reviewed and added to as necessary. Alix suggested the addition of the Bryant Recipients Librarian Luncheon and to please ensure the chairs of the Bryant Committee are invited to that lunch.

Gloria distributed a list of LAECís responsibilities to be reviewed and added to as necessary. Alix suggested the addition of the Bryant Recipients Librarian Luncheon and to please ensure the chairs of the Bryant Committee are invited to that lunch.

FALL PROGRAM

Gloria distributed a list of LAECís responsibilities to be reviewed and added to as necessary. Alix suggested the addition of the Bryant Recipients Librarian Luncheon and to please ensure the chairs of the Bryant Committee are invited to that lunch.

Gloria distributed a list of LAECís responsibilities to be reviewed and added to as necessary. Alix suggested the addition of the Bryant Recipients Librarian Luncheon and to please ensure the chairs of the Bryant Committee are invited to that lunch.

ĎState of the art library initiative and innovationsí was the topic chosen to focus on. Jane suggested linking a broad range of technical innovations currently happening in Harvard Libraries: iCommons, ICG, reading list, etc. Laureen and Connie agreed to work together to flesh out this fall program idea.

Suggested if we focus on technological innovations (new stuff) in the fall we may want to focus on innovations in historical collections (old stuff) in the spring.

LAECís next meeting will be Thursday, October 21 from 3:30 - 5pm, location TBA.

Respectfully submitted,
Alix Reiskind