Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


Librarians’ Assembly
Executive Committee

Meeting, February 9, 2006
Minutes

 

Elected Members Present: Alix Reiskind (chair), Donna Koepp (vice-chair), Amira Aaron, Karen Carlson Young, Brad Schaffner, Jane Hedberg (recording secretary).
Committee Chairs Present: Jennifer Lyons for Benefits, Jason Pannone and Jennifer Jacobsen for Communications and Orientation, Craig Thomas and Ann Robinson for Professional Development, Patti Hatch and Elizabeth McKeigue for Rights and Responsibilities.
Absent:  no one.

Alix Reiskind proposed and the LAEC accepted rescheduling the next meeting from March 9 to March 16.

Committee Action Items

Benefits Committee
Deb Morley has agreed to serve with Jennifer Lyons as a co-chair.
Alix Reiskind and Donna Koepp met with Barbara Graham and she approved the April 5th Brown Bag Lunch about long-term health care insurance.  Jennifer Lyons would like to use iCommons to make information about programs more readily available, and to get an indication of interest in the April 5th BB.
Action:  Kevin Lau will create a quick poll using iCommons to estimate the number of attendees at the April 5th BB.

Communications and Orientation Committee
Jennifer Jacobsen met with Peter Kosewski to discuss the layout of the LA webpages on the HUL website.  Jason Pannone prepared some Communications and Orientation prototype pages that were very favorably received by the LAEC.  The information links selected to help new librarians would be useful for all library staff members.
There is no new information about the tour of Baker Library.  C&OC would like to plan an informal lunch during March and another tree tour of Harvard Yard during June.
Action:  Other Committees are encouraged to adopt the prototype web pages.
Action:  Jason will contact Dana Hanify about procuring a room in Lehman Hall for the informal lunch.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will contact Peter del Tredici about scheduling a tree tour.

Professional Development Committee
The Bryant Fellowship applications are due on February 10th.  There has been some confusion about who is eligible for the program and that needs to be clarified.
The proposed program about book digitization by Dale Flecker is still in development and may be taken over by HUL or co-sponsored with them.  There was some discussion about the possible size of the audience for a Brown Bag lunch about Harvard in Colonial Days and whether it should be turned into a conventional lecture.
Action:  Clarify Bryant Fellowship eligibility on the PDC webpage.
Action:  Craig Thomas will contact Malcolm Hamilton to get more information about how many members of the HarvardUniversity Retirees Association typically attend an event.

Rights and Responsibilities Committee
The Library Lunch lecture by Amy Lucker on January 27th was a success.  Forty-five people attended.
The R&RC is planning another Library Lunch in March (probably on March 31) about curating Slavic collections.  They may have a panel discussion and Ernest Zitser may participate.
They are also considering linking from their webpage to library policy documents on other Harvard websites.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will get approval of the Slavic collections topic.

iSite Task Force
Craig Thomas and Amira Aaron reviewed current iSite development.  They demonstrated the tabs and pages for committees.  There is no calendar function available.
Action:  Each committee should begin to populate its pages.
Action:  Donna Koepp will investigate possibilities for a calendar.
Action:  The Task Force is laid down with thanks.

Nominating Committee
Alix Reiskind and Donna Koepp described the usual activities of the Nominating Committee.  Karen Carlson Young and Jane Hedberg volunteered to form a committee for this spring’s election.
Action:  Alix Reiskind and Donna Koepp will meet with the new committee members to clarify duties and pass on the documentation.

Spring Assembly
The LAEC discussed possible dates and topics for the Spring Assembly.  There was a general consensus that because the speakers at our Fall Assembly were all Harvard librarians, the speaker(s) at the Spring Assembly should be from outside Harvard.  Amira Aaron suggested a presentation by Herbert Von de Sompel, creator of SFX.  Other possible speaker suggestions included Tim Berners-Lee (http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/#Bio), Tim O’Reilly (http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/tim_bio.html), and Joseph Janes (http://www.ischool.washington.edu/people/personnel.aspx?id=3122).  There was some interest in hearing about the changes at Countway and what they mean to medical research.  In addition to technological topics, the LAEC considered locating a speaker from Tulane or Xavier to describe the situation in New Orleans libraries.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will contact Wadsworth House to determine a date compatible with Sid Verba’s schedule.

Next Meeting
The next meeting of the LAEC is scheduled for March 16, 2006 from 12:00-2:00 P.M.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jane Hedberg, February 15, 2006