Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


Librarians’ Assembly
Executive Committee

Meeting, January 12, 2006
Minutes

 

Elected Members Present: Alix Reiskind (chair), Donna Koepp (vice-chair), Amira Aaron, Karen Carlson Young, Brad Schaffner, Jane Hedberg (recording secretary).
Committee Chairs Present: Jennifer Lyons for Benefits, Jason Pannone and Jennifer Jacobsen for Communications and Orientation, Craig Thomas and Ann Robinson for Professional Development, Patti Hatch and Elizabeth McKeigue for Rights and Responsibilities.
Absent:  no one.
Guests: Christine Soh,Tracey Robinson.

The meeting began with the introductions and welcome of Jennifer Lyons, as the new chair of the Benefits Committee.

Committee Action Items

Benefits Committee
Billy Kwan, formerly co-chair of Benefits, has left Harvard, and Jennifer Lyons is now serving as chair.
Benefits is planning a Brown Bag Lunch on April 5 from noon to 1 pm in the Lamont Forum Room.   It will be a presentation about long-term health care insurance by a representative from John Hancock Insurance and Finance Service.  Development of a program about lesser-known benefits has been discontinued.
Action: Jennifer Lyons will seek a new co-chair at the next Benefits Committee meeting.
Action: Alix Reiskind will seek approval for the BB topic.

Communications and Orientation Committee
The Committee didn’t meet in December, so there is nothing new.  Spring programs still in the planning stages include a tour of Baker Library, another tree tour of Harvard Yard, and the Ice Cream Social.
Jason Pannone has had trouble with his computer, so he has not done any LA website updates.

Professional Development Committee
The Committee held a Brown Bag Lunch on January 10th to generate interest in the Bryant Fellowship program.  Three winners from last year spoke about their experiences to fifteen attendees.
The Committee is considering two possible programs for spring, one by Dale Flecker about book digitization and another by Sid Berger of Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science.

iSites Training

Committee Reports were interrupted so Christine Soh from iCommons could provide an hour-long training session in iSites.  There is help documentation on the web (isites.harvard.edu) and Rei Diaz will provide any support needed, because the LAEC is a HUL committee. Donna Koepp, Elizabeth McKeigue, Jason Pannone, Amira Aaron and Craig Thomas volunteered to form a sub-committee to develop the LAEC iSite.
Action: The iSite Subcommittee will set-up a skeleton structure and investigate setting-up a calendar function.

Professional Development Committee, continued
Malcolm Hamilton, a retired Harvard library employee, approached the PDC with a Brown Bag Lunch idea.  He proposed that the PDC and the Harvard Retirees Association (HURA) co-sponsor historian Diane Rapaport to speak about Harvard in Colonial Days.
The PDC did some research into staff members’ preferences for programs and discovered that the three most popular topics are Google Print, Open Access and Digital Repositories.  They also discovered that the two times preferred for holding programs are 10:30-12:00 and 12-1:30.
The PDC is planning some changes to its web pages, and Kathleen Sheehan and Michael Bradford have volunteered to lead this effort.
Action Item:  Craig Thomas will send a copy of the PDC’s program topic evaluation to Jane Hedberg.

Rights and Responsibilities Committee
The Committee will hold a program on January 27th.  Amy Lucker of the Fine Arts Library will speak about the changing role of Art Librarianship.  They would like to do another program in the spring and will begin discussion at their next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting of the LAEC is scheduled for February 9, 2006 from 12:00-2:00 P.M.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jane Hedberg, February 7, 2006