Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


Librarians’ Assembly
Executive Committee

Meeting, March 16, 2006
Minutes

 

Elected Members Present: Alix Reiskind (chair), Donna Koepp (vice-chair), Amira Aaron, Karen Carlson Young, Jane Hedberg (recording secretary).
Committee Chairs Present: Deb Morley for Benefits, Jason Pannone for Communications and Orientation, Craig Thomas for Professional Development, Patti Hatch and Elizabeth McKeigue for Rights and Responsibilities.
Absent:  Brad Schaffner.

Introductions

Deb Morley introduced herself as the new co-chair for the Benefits Committee.  Karen Carlson Young announced her move from HCL Technical Services at 625 Massachusetts Avenue to Gutman Library.  Her new email address is karen_young@harvard.edu.

Committee Action Items

Benefits Committee
Susan Milstein of the Fine Arts Library is a new member of the committee.  The LAEC recommends that each committee have nine members, with three people rotating off and on each year.  It is often difficult to maintain that balance, but it is a worthwhile objective.
Benefits is holding a Brown Bag Lunch about long-term health care insurance April 5th.  They will use iCommons to monitor attendance.  Deb Morley asked about taping the session and was told that someone from Benefits must contact FAS Media Services.
Benefits would like to do an informal poll of possible program topics to determine the amount of interest.

Communications and Orientation Committee
Communications and Orientation will invite a small group of recent hires to the Librarians’ Lunch in April.  It will also hold an informal librarians’ lunch on March 29th in Wadsworth House.
C&O still does not have any information about the tour of the renovated Baker Library.  The LAEC recommended that the tour be planned for next Fall, not this Spring.
C&O has not been able to schedule a tree tour with Peter del Tredici yet.
The Ice Cream Social will be scheduled for late May.
Jason Pannone presented C&O’s iSite pages to C&O at its last meeting.  They were favorably received, and all agreed that Jason should add the members’ email addresses to the Committee’s main page.
Jason Pannone presented a new public website design to the LAEC.  It, too, was favorably received.
Action:  Jason will contact Kathy Moody about a Baker tour in September or October.
Action:  A member of C&O will contact Peter del Tredici about scheduling a tree tour.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will contact Peter Kosewski for permission to move ahead with the proposed changes to the website.

Professional Development Committee
The PDC awarded Bryant Fellowships to Ann Robinson, Irina Klyagin, David Whitesell and Ksenya Kiebuzinski.
The proposed program about book digitization by Dale Flecker is still in development and will be co-sponsored with HUL.  The April 10th Brown Bag lunch, co-sponsored with the Harvard University Retirees Association, should fit into the Lamont Forum Room, so will proceed as scheduled.
Craig Thomas has continued to work on the PDC iSite pages, adding a window for the Committee’s public website on the iSite main page.

Rights and Responsibilities Committee
The Rights and Responsibilities Committee is planning another Library Lunch lecture for March 31st.  “An Overview of Harvard’s Slavic Collection” will feature a panel of four librarians describing our rich collections.
R&R is planning a program about records retention for Harvard libraries and archives for late May or early June.
Action:  R&R will invite the DavisCenter staff to the March 31st lecture.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will get approval of the Records Retention topic.

Nominating Committee
Karen Carlson Young and Jane Hedberg invited Ruth Haas to join the Nominating Committee.  It will hold its first meeting on March 23rd.  The Administrative Assistant in the Weissman Preservation Center has volunteered to assist with clerical duties.
Action:  All members of LAEC should forward names of suitable candidates to a member of the Nominating Committee.

Website/iSite
Alix Reiskind, Craig Thomas, and Jason Pannone met to discuss development of the public website and the iSite.  R&R will experiment with putting their minutes on the iSite and linking to them from the website, to see if it is feasible to post minutes in only one location.  There was some discussion about how the proposed website design meets the needs of the visually disabled.
Action:  C&O will present the proposed New Librarians’ page to Peter Kosewski for comment.

Spring Assembly
Picturing Prayer, a Freshman Seminar led by Geoffrey Hamburger, was suggested as a topic for the Spring Assembly.  It is an intriguing model of library participation in the classroom and the LAEC discussed other such collaborations.  Wadsworth House has already indicated that this topic is appropriate.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will contact Cheryl LaGuardia and the Freshman Seminar Office to identify other courses that use library collections effectively.
Action:  Alix Reiskind will contact Geoffrey Hamburger and Bill Stoneman to determine if they could make presentations at the Spring Assembly.

Next Meeting
The next meeting of the LAEC is scheduled for April 13, 2006 from 12:00-2:00 P.M.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jane Hedberg, March 29, 2006