Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


Librarians' Assembly
Executive Committee

Meeting, November 9, 2006
Minutes

Elected Members Present: Donna Koepp (Chair), Karen Carlson Young (Co-Vice-Chair and minutes), Patty Hatch (Co-Vice-Chair), Alix Reiskind, Kristin Stoklosa, Craig Thomas
Committee Chairs Present: Jen Lyons, Benefits, Jenn Jacobsen and Jason Pannone, Communications and Orientation, Ann Robinson and Michael Bradford, Professional Development, Erin Wise and Melanie Wisner, Rights and Responsibilities.

Committee Reports

Benefits Committee
The Committee announced that they will develop a strategy for analyzing the results of their poll to determine program interests at their meeting on November 16th.
The Committee hosted a very well received program “Investment Allocation (Basics of Investing) on November 2nd from 3:30-5:00 p.m. Over 50 people attended the informative session presented by Anne Kuuskvere from TIAA-CREF, who covered the basics of investing and choosing the right investment allocation in preparation for retirement. Following the program the Committee handed out a feedback form and received 20 responses. All of the responses to the four questions on the form rated the program as excellent or good, with only a single “neutral” rating.
Action: Analyze results of the poll taken to determine program interests    

Communications and Orientation Committee
Patty Hatch is the new liaison to the Committee.
Jason Pannone reported on upcoming events planned by the Committee, including the informal brown-bag lunch for librarians on November 16 to be held at Wadsworth House.  The Committee has decided to wait until January to host a lunch for the newly hired librarians. Still under discussion is a tour of Memorial Hall sometime in January. The tour of Baker Library remains under consideration while the idea of a Lamont tour has been tabled for now.
Action: Further research of tour ideas.

Professional Development Committee
Ann Robinson reported that the deadline for the Bryant Fellowship applications is February 16. The Committee has planned and scheduled the first of the Bryant Lecture Series, a presentation by Barbara Mitchell, past recipient of the Bryant Fellowship, on November 30 entitled Boston and Cambridge Libraries, 1850-1875: A Study in Social, Cultural, and Technological Transformation .[NOTE: Due to a scheduling conflict the program was postponed until December 6]
The Diane Rapaport brown bag lunch, Tales from the Courthouse, co-sponsored with HURA has been rescheduled for January 29, 12-1:30 p.m. in the Lamont Forum Room.
Michael Bradford has updated the PDC website to include a calendar of professional development events for 2007 and list of Bryant winners. Michael noted that he can replicate the calendar function for other Committees’ use. Ann has created a new Upcoming Events topic on the PDC iSite.
Action: Continue researching and planning for upcoming events.

Rights and Responsibilities Committee
Erin Wise reported on the meeting of the Committee where it was decided that the first sponsored program, will most likely take place in February. The proposed topic will focus on scholarly communication and open access.  Other program ideas include a reprise of last year’s Records Management presentation, a history of Hilles library and its collections, a panel discussion on special archival collections and possibly a follow-up to Clifford Lynch’s talk.
Action: Further research of these ideas.

New Business
Donna Koepp and Karen Carlson Young met on October 30 with Barbara Graham and Dana Hanify of Wadsworth House to discuss plans for the Fall Librarians’ Assembly. Barbara confirmed that Clifford Lynch accepted Sid Verba’s invitation to speak and will be arriving on Wednesday, December 13. The Assembly will be held in Askwith Hall at the Graduate School of Education on Thursday, December 14, 3:30-5:00 p.m. Donna will introduce Sid, who will then introduce Clifford Lynch. At Barbara Graham’s suggestion we agreed that advertising for the talk should be limited to the Harvard Library community and publicized via HUL Info. It was suggested that a Save-the Date announcement be sent out.

Donna presented Dana Hanify’s request that all communications between her and the LAEC committees be funneled through Donna so that she receives information, requests, etc. from one central source rather than being overwhelmed by requests from several different sources. Donna asked that all committee chairs please cooperate. Announcements for HULINFO can still be sent directly to Peter Kosewski.

Barbara Graham proposed that the Spring Assembly be given over as a farewell to Sid Verba and held during the week of May 10. Sid would be the speaker followed by a reception in his honor. Barbara also suggested that it would be meaningful to include Derek Bok in the program and she will check into his availability. There was some discussion about the location of the event. Pound Hall was a possibility, depending on the exam schedule at the Law School.
Action: Donna will check on the availability of Pound Hall.

Because the Spring Assembly would be outside the typical program content it was suggested that a separate, co-sponsored program be offered to cover a topic that would be more in line with our usual programming at the spring meeting. One possible topic would be a “reaction to Clifford Lynch”.
Action: Further discussion by the LAEC required.

Old Business

Craig Thomas reported that 3 people attended the iSite Training session. Those who attended found it useful and informative.

Jenn Jacobsen will check in the Archives for handouts given to newly hired librarians in past years to possibly serve as guidelines for what the Communications and Orientation Committee might consider appropriate to hand out to current new hires.

Next LAEC meeting will be Friday, December 15, 4:30 p.m. at John Harvard’s.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Karen Carlson Young
November 30, 2006