Executive Committee
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Executive Committee


Librarians’ Assembly
Executive Committee

Meeting, October 27, 2005
Minutes

Elected Members Present: Alix Reiskind (chair), Donna Koepp (vice-chair), Amira Aaron, Brad Schaffner, Karen Carlson Young, Jane Hedberg (recording secretary).
Committee Chairs Present: Jason Pannone and Jennifer Jacobsen for Communications and Orientation, Craig Thomas for Professional Development, Patty Hatch for Rights and Responsibilities.
Absent: Elizabeth McKeigue, Dana Mastroianni, Ann Robinson.

Updates

The Benefits Committee needs a new chair.
Action: Karen Carlson Young will work with them to select someone.

Alix Reiskind reported that she had been contacted by Liz Bibby from Baker, requesting assistance with arranging a tour of the new library building.
Action: Alix will contact Liz Bibby for more information.
Action: Jason and Jennifer will take the request to the Communications and Orientation Committee for reactions.

Alix Reiskind and Donna Koepp met with Barbara Graham and Dana Hanify to discuss program planning. The November 14th brown bag lunch about blogging is a good topic.
Action: Committee chairs should copy Alix on all communications with Wadsworth House.

Alix Reiskind, Jason Pannone and Dana Mastroianni met to discuss website maintenance. They divided the site into three parts, Alix will maintain the home, Executive Committee and Rights and Responsibilities pages. Jason will maintain the Communications and Orientation, Professional Development and Benefits pages.
Action: Alix and Jason will decide if someone else should be found to take on the final third of the site, or whether they will split it between them.
Action: Updates to any pages should be sent by Friday noon for a Friday afternoon upload.
Action: Alix and Jason will develop a style sheet.
Action: Amira will look at iSite for templates.

Alix Reiskind asked if all appropriate Committee materials had been deposited in the Archives
Action: Committee chairs should check and send any outstanding records to Alix.

Patty Hatch announced that Rights and Responsibilities hopes to have Barbara Mitchell report about her Bryant award research in late November or early December. They are also thinking about a program in the spring about Harvard librarians who teach at Simmons GSLIS.

The Executive Committee questioned what had happened to the idea of announcing ALA presentations by Harvard librarians before the conference, so colleagues could possibly attend the presentations.
Action: Alix will ask Peter Kosewski.


Fall 2005 Assembly

Alix Reiskind announced that the Fall Assembly will be held on Wednesday, December 14, from 3:30 to 5 P.M. in the Cronkhite Living Room.
Action: Make sure announcement indicates that Cronkhite is a walk outside the Square.

The EC discussed two potential topics for the Assembly: changing user expectations and behaviors, and better communication about changes and trends in library science. After consideration of those and other suggestions, the EC decided that the topic suggested for the Rights and Responsibilities spring program would be the best choice. Patty Hatch graciously agreed to relinquish it and planning began on an entirely new topic. How has library science education changed? How have the librarians who teach and the students who learn changed? What are their changing expectations? A three or four person panel consisting of a regular Simmons faculty member, an adjunct faculty member from Harvard, and a Simmons student would be asked to address these issues.
Action: Alix Reiskind will frame a program description and submit it to Wadsworth House for approval.
Action: Executive Committee members should suggest potential speakers to Alix.
Action: Executive Committee members should reserve time after the fall Assembly to meet for a post-mortem.

The next LAEC meeting will be held November 17th from 12:30-2:30 in OIS 205B.


Respectfully submitted,

Jane Hedberg, November 17, 2005