Professional Development Committee
Home
Page

Minutes of the Professional Development Committee meeting

February 9, 2001



Present: Karen Nipps (Chair), Peter Cohn, Hilde De Weerdt, Kevin Lau, Hugh Olmsted, Kazuko Sakaguchi, Anne Tanguay

Absent: Jeffrey Bernhard, Malcolm Hamilton, Karin Medin

Minutes
Minutes of the January 12, 2001 meeting were approved with corrections.

Bryant Fellowship
Kevin reported that the Brown Bag informational session held on January 24th was quite successful. There was a healthy turnout, with 6 speakers who provided samples of their research. Applications were distributed at that time. So far, no applications have been received. The deadline is Friday, February 16th, but Kevin anticipates that applications may be received after the holiday on February 19th. The Bryant subgroup will meet the following Friday to begin to review applications.

An attendee at the Brown Bag session had a question about the amount of the Bryant grant, indicating that the figure is too low for professional research. In response to this, we agreed that future publicity for the Bryant should clarify the scope for the fellowship - to encourage research, not provide full funding for large projects.

Kevin will post a reminder about the Feb. 16th deadline on hulinfo.

Programs
Spotlight on Libraries - Ginny Hunt is set for a presentation on Countway's Warren collection. We agreed that this program should be held at Countway in the afternoon. It was noted, though, that a staff retirement forum is scheduled for March 27 in the Lamont Forum Room, so the date is still in question. Other dates (March 20, 22, and 29) were proposed. Kevin will talk to Ginny about these dates. Ginny will provide biographical information and information about the presentation. Once we determine a date, publicity should go out as soon as possible.

Librarians in non-traditional careers - This program will be held on May 1st from 10:30 to noon in the Lamont Forum Room. Karen will confirm the date and time with Lynn Sayers at Lamont. 4 speakers have committed to participating: Elizabeth Wu (information architect), John Howard from OIS, Carole Myles (Silver Platter, ebook publishing), Beverly Colby (venture capital). Karen will articulate the theme of the program, but needs biographical information about the participants to do this. Peter will assist with publicity. Contacts should get the bios to Karen as soon as possible.

Website update
ALA and SLA professional development sites will be linked to our website.

The possibility of providing links to research resulting from the Bryant fellowships or links to citations to the final products was mentioned. Previous recipients could be contacted for information regarding links or citations.

Other business
Kazuko asked about the possibility of this committee becoming involved with the upcoming IFLA conference. Karen explained that we have talked about this over the past several years, but that we haven't been able to get a sense from various contacts about how we could provide assistance. Hugh suggested that we might come up with a structured plan for us to offer to IFLA contacts, if we really want to continue to pursue this.

Next Meeting:
Friday, March 9, 2001 at Widener Next Meeting:


Top | Back to Minutes Archive