Professional Development Committee
Home
Page

Minutes of the Professional Development Committee meeting

December 16, 2003



Present: Amira Aaron, Doug Campbell, Laureen Esser (co-chair), Ksenya Kiebuzinski (note taker), Alix Reiskind (co-chair), Manda Salls, Karen Carlson-Young

Absent: Amy Boucher, Carol Ellerbeck

Winter program: Manda gave a report on the proposed Digital Library Projects program. The program will take place on Friday, February 6, 2004, in the Lamont Forum Room, from 1 to 3 p.m.. Sue Kriegsman and Wendy Gogel will present, focusing on digital library projects at Harvard and elsewhere. The nature of the program will be introductory and will cover the basics of planning and managing digital initiatives. As a supplement to the program, the Harvard College Library Digital Imaging Facility will offer tours afterwards. Since space is limited, the PDC decided that it would be best to offer two tours and to have interested parties RSVP. LDI will provide refreshments to participants. Publicity for the program will be included in Library Notes and HULINFO.

Mentoring Subcommittee: Karen presented highlights of the Mentoring Subcommittee meeting held on November 25, 2003. The Subcommittee (including members from PDC, Rights & Responsibilities, and Communications and Orientation) has been reviewing mentoring programs at other institutions in order to determine which ones would be most relevant to the situation of librarians at Harvard. They are now in the process of drafting a proposal to be submitted to the Executive Committee of the Librarians’ Assembly by late January 2004. Some of the goals that the Subcommittee has set out for a future mentoring program include: offering assistance to librarians who are new to Harvard to successfully operate within the library system; incorporating non-librarian professionals (staff in the IT, OIS, human resources and financial services units) into the program; providing guidance to non-exempt library staff, especially those pursuing library degrees; seeking out support of library administrators in each faculty; and maintaining a website with information about working at Harvard or in HUL. After the draft proposal has been written, the Subcommittee will draft a survey to circulate amongst Harvard librarians and other library professionals to determine levels of interest in the program. The PDC then discussed methods of distributing the survey and how to target the audience.

Bryant Fellowships: Flyers with information about the Bryant Fellowships were distributed to Committee members to post at their respective library units. The Committee then decided to hold this year’s brown-bag informational session on either January 15, 16, 22 or 23, with preference to the earlier dates, from 12 to 1 p.m.. Ksenya will reserve the Lamont Forum Room for one of these dates, depending on availability, and announce the program via Library Notes and HULINFO. Doug will contact last year’s recipients and invite them to give presentations about their projects. There ensued a general discussion about who is eligible for Bryant Fellowships and, if only professional library staff, what determines this status: salary grade, job title, nature of work, years of experience, educational background, etc. It was decided to consult with the Librarians’ Assembly’s Executive Committee for further guidance on this issue.

LAEC: Laureen and Alix gave a report on the Librarians’ Assembly’s Executive Committee meeting.

Future program reports: Doug reported on his contacts with Countway Library and their potential interest in organizing a program, possibly in Spring 2004. Amira has been working on organizing a program on iCommons and other instructional technology for the 2004-2005 academic year. Alix offered up for discussion a program that would relate to networking and career development for Harvard librarians. Other possible programs included mention of collaborating with Dumbarton Oaks and organizing a lecture on scholarly communication.

PDC Web Page: There was a general discussion about what should be posted there and how it should be formatted. Since the page currently posts information about its charge, various PDC sponsored programs, information about professional development opportunities, minutes of the meetings, and contact information for its members, it was decided that for the time being the web page serves its function. Any changes to the page would have to be coordinated with all the other committee of the Librarian’s Assembly.

Next meeting: Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at OIS, 1280 Massachusetts Ave., Room 404a.


Top | Back to Minutes Archive