Minutes of the Rights and Responsibilities Committee
Friday, 3 December 2004
9:00-10:30 AM, Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems, Room
Present: Renata Kalnins (Chair), Patty Hatch (minutes), Elizabeth
McKeigue, Kazuko Sakaguchi, Erin Wise, Melanie Wisner
Renata on the last Executive Committee meeting:
- She was unable to attend, but her committee report was submitted
- In response to her report, a suggestion was made by the Executive Committee
concerning the Ethics Program: since there will be no brown bag lunch sponsored
by the Committee in January, the EC proposed that the Ethics Program could
be held in its place.
- After discussing the Executive Committee’s suggestion, it was determined
that since we want people to review and discuss case studies, this may be
difficult to do in the context of a lunch. Therefore, we will proceed with
the program as outlined in our previous minutes.
- Renata reminded the group that the fall Assembly program will focus on
Instructional Technology and is scheduled for 9 December.
On the HUL committee’s survey:
- Renata finished work on the survey and submitted it to the Executive Committee.
Patron Privacy Ethics Program update
- Time and date: Thursday Jan. 20 from 2:00-3:30 Lamont Forum
- Speaker: Marilyn Wood has agreed to speak at the program
concerning Widener Library’s approach to patron privacy issues. Marilyn’s
talk will focus on the need to follow your library’s policy, with the
understanding that each library works with different patron communities. Her
talk will be brief and to the point, as a way to introduce the issues that
will be discussed in the case studies. During the meeting, Elizabeth contacted
Marilyn with the title details and confirmed that Marilyn did not mind being
mentioned in the first meeting notice to the public.
- Titles: Following up on the discussion last month, a title
was chosen for the program: What Would You Do? Patron Privacy: New Challenges,
New Systems. The committee chose this title based on the following criteria:
- Systems needed to be in the title. There was some discussion that Aleph
should be included in the title, since privacy information in Aleph is
the focus for this meeting (as opposed to the other library systems).
It was decided we would clarify this in the general announcement made
to the public.
- A bulleted list of action items will be part of the program announcement;
these will include hearing about experiences protecting patron privacy,
considering case studies affecting technical and public services staff,
and meeting colleagues from libraries across the University who are interested
in this issue.
- The title is broad enough to attract both front line and management
- Meeting Announcements: Melanie agreed to draft the announcement
and send it to the committee via email for their review. Renata indicated
that she may need to send the draft to Peter Kosewski at Wadsworth House for
review prior to the announcement being made on hulinfo. The committee decided
that three announcements would be best; tentative dates are as follows:
- First announcement: Monday, December 13
- Second announcement: Monday, January 10
- Final announcement: Wednesday, January 19
- Structure: The committee agreed to work with the proposed
framework presented at the last meeting.
- Renata will welcome meeting participants
- Marilyn Wood will then speak
- Elizabeth will then introduce the case studies
- Each member of the R &R Committee will serve as facilitators for
the meeting participants during the internal discussions of the case studies
- Patty will lead the questions/discussion and conclusion
- Introduction to the Case studies: Elizabeth outlined how
she would introduce the case studies to meeting participants:
Renata suggested that Elizabeth write up these points to that each facilitator
will be able to guide their discussion group. Elizabeth will put these thoughts
together in a bulleted list that can be used by all members of the R &
- The case studies are amalgamations of examples faced by libraries across
the University and do not represent a specific library
- There are no right and wrong answers to the case studies
- Each group should read through their case study and discuss any potential
patron privacy issue
- Each group should determine how they would approach or handle the circumstance
either personally or if there is an universal approach
Number of Case Studies: There are currently three case
studies ready to be presented at the meeting; it was determined that there
should be four more case studies in case we have a large turnout. Elizabeth
will contact some of her colleagues and gather some additional case studies;
she will also use some examples that Renata had gotten from her coworkers
and some that Patty had included in her patron privacy poll document. Having
a variety of case studies gives us more flexibility-- we may decide not
to use a particular example or if an example that is being discussed by
a group is not working with that group, another would be available.
Room set up: The room should already be broken up into
table to facilitate the case study discussion. Patty will email Lynn Sayers
at the Lamont Library to see if we can get the room set up this way prior
to the meeting.
Registration: The framework suggested that each member
of the R & R committee facilitate a case study discussion, and that
the number of participants in each group should be no more than seven per
table. This would mean approximately 50 participants maximum for the program.
The committee discussed whether or not registration would be needed, and
it was concluded that we should not require registration for this event.
Steps for next meeting: review new case studies, discuss
what handouts and visuals are needed for the program, and determine whether
or not the patron privacy poll should be included in the presentation.
Proposals for next activities
- Access/disabilities program proposal: We will discuss a
possible program on library access for people with disabilities at our next
Updates on other Library Assembly Activities
- Mentoring Subcommittee: Kazuko reported that the mentoring
subcommittee met on November 17. The focus of the meeting concerned the creation
of a list of “mentors-to-be.” Amy Boucher, chair of the meeting,
has contacted the subcommittee members and asked for a delay in creating this
list until the proposal has the approval of the Executive Committee. Amy has
met with Alex Reiskind of the Executive Committee about the proposal. The
Mentoring Subcommittee will be meeting again early next week, and Kazuko will
report to us at the next meeting. In the meantime, if any R & R Committee
members have suggestions about those in the Harvard Library community may
be interested in becoming a mentor, let her know. At this point, the Mentoring
Subcommittee is only interested in gathering names; no formal solicitations
for mentors will be made at this time.
Our next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Friday, Jan. 7, 2005, at 9:00AM
at OIS (pending availability of space)