Minutes of the Rights and Responsibilities Committee
February 12, 2004
Present: Patricia Hatch, Renata Kalnins, Elizabeth McKeigue, Frances O'Donnell, Kazuko Sakaguchi, Pat Tully
Group agreed to schedule the next meeting as the first order of business. Next meeting will be March 18, from 3-4 in Lamont Rm. 502.
- The next Librarian’s Assembly meeting has been announced for May 20, 2004, from 3-5 at the Divinity School’s Sperry Room. The topic of the meeting will be “Building Change” and will address the recent and ongoing building projects in the Harvard libraries, particularly, the renovations of Widener and Baker Libraries.
- The first resurrection of the Librarians’ Lunch in Lehman (Dudley) Hall takes place on Feb 26 from 12-1. Sponsored by the Communications and Orientation Committee.
- Report from Pat on the Librarians Assembly Executive Committee: Most of the discussion was regarding the upcoming program “Building Change”. In addition, the members discussed the Librarian’s Assembly website. Connie Mayer will be updating the look for the site with the goal to make it more useful and intuitive to users.
Rights and Responsibilities Programs:
Elizabeth reported on plan for a program to take place in early May. Patty is talking with her colleagues in OIS (Tracey Robinson/Kathy Anderson/Martha Creedon) in the hopes that one or more of them will participate in the panel. Elizabeth has asked Marilyn Wood to join the panel. Marilyn is thinking about it and will get back to us soon. Once speakers confirm, Patty and Elizabeth will work with the speakers to set a date for the panel.
Fran and Renata reported on their work. They presented the idea of developing a “quick links” or FAQ-type interface to provide access to information in the handbook. They have a draft of the guide that they are working on and will present it for discussion at our next meeting.
R& R website
Pat reported on developing content for this site. Links could include some intellectual freedom sites, ACRL statements on professional development, competency standards for librarian positions, Harvard statement of values. Pat hopes to have a draft for us to review at the next meeting.
- Members of the Communication and Orientation committee are working on the draft of a proposal and a survey that asks for expectations of a mentoring program.
- Pilot program scheduled to begin in the summer
- Plan to launch on larger scale in the fall
- Survey and proposal will be sent to members of the executive committees via e-mail for feedback.