Rights and Responsibilities
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Rights and Responsibilities Committee



Rights & Responsibilities Committee
Meeting Minutes
January 7, 2005
Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems – 205A
9:00 – 10:30 AM

Present: Renata Kalnins (Chair), Melanie Wisner, Elizabeth McKeigue, Patty Hatch, Kazuko Sakaguchi, Erin Wise, Kim Dulin

Minutes. The December minutes previously sent out were approved.

Ethics Program. Renata announced that, after consultation with other members of the committee, we have decided to postpone the Ethics program (originally scheduled for Jan 20) because we only got approval on 12/23 and there is now not sufficient time to publicize it. We discussed new dates for the program and settled on Thursday Feb 24 at 10:30 with Wednesday Feb. 23 at 1:00 (as a back-up date).

We ran through the proposed agenda for the program. Renata will do a welcome and will briefly discuss the committee and its charge. Marilyn or Nick will speak about the Widener policy. Elizabeth will prepare a PowerPoint for the program and will try to get two more case studies – we would like to have seven for the program. We will also have the ALA Code of Ethics projected on a screen so participants can refer to it when discussing their scenarios. Melanie will prepare some handouts which will be posted on the website after the meeting. We will have several round tables at the program – with a handout of the case studies available at all the tables, with one case study highlighted for each table. Renata suggested that we focus on using the term “practices” rather that the term “policies” at the program.

Melanie will take care of sending out the announcements for the program. The first will go out the week of 1/24, the second the week of 2/17, and the third the day before the program.

Mentoring Subcommittee. Kazuko reported that the Mentoring Subcommittee met with members of the Librarians Assembly Executive Committee who had expressed concern about the Mentoring Subcommittee’s pilot program. Although these Executive Committee members thought the idea of the program was good, they worried about how much administrative time it might require. They requested more data about how other libraries’ mentoring programs have worked before submitting the program for approval.

Potential Program on Disability Practices. Erin volunteered to contact Marie Trottier to see if she would be interested in speaking at a program surveying the various libraries’ services for users with disabilities. We hope to present this program sometime in April. Erin will contact Marie to see what her availability is and see if she would agree to take questions ahead of time. Erin will phrase the question for her to address as “What is the University’s position on reasonable accommodation and its implication for the libraries?”

Harvard Librarians’ Activities. Patty suggested a future project for this committee might be to survey the librarians at Harvard and get a sense of their involvement in activities outside of the university. We have so many talented librarians at Harvard who are very active in national and international endeavors and projects. It would be nice to have a summary somewhere available to the Harvard library community so that we could see what everyone is doing. We decided to discuss this more at our next meeting.

The next meeting was scheduled for Feb. 11 at 9:00 in OIS 205A if Patty can get it for us.