Rights and Responsibilities
Home Page

 

Minutes of the Rights and Responsibilities Committee


Rights & Responsibilities Committee
Meeting Minutes
January 18, 2006
Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems – 205A
1:00 – 2:00 PM

Present:            Kim Dulin, Patty Hatch (co-chair), Renata Kalnins, Amy Lucker, Kazuko Sakaguchi, Erin Wise (minutes), Melanie Wisner 

Absent:             Amira Aaron (Librarians’ Assembly Liaison), Elizabeth McKeigue (co-chair), Karen Storin

1.  Librarians’ Assembly Executive Committee Meeting 

Patty reported that the December Librarians’ Assembly program was well-received. Many thanks to Amy, who was an excellent moderator. 

The Benefits Committee needs a new co-chair (Billy Kwan has left Harvard).  They are planning a program for April 5th on the new, long-term care policies.  A representative from John Hancock will be present. 

The Professional Development Committee held a brown-bag lunch on the Bryant Fellowship.  There will be a Harvard University Retirees Association brown-bag on Harvard University in colonial days.  The Professional Development Committee put out an online survey for program ideas.  The preferred times for programs in general are 10:30am-12:00pm and 12:00-1:00pm. 

iSite implementation for the LAEC: a subcommittee has been formed to propose a layout.  Elizabeth will be serving from our group. 

2.  Library Lunch Lecture 

On Jan. 27th, 12:00-1:00pm, Amy will be presenting on the Changing Role of Art Librarianship.  Patty will send out a second public notice next week.  Patty will introduce Amy at the lecture. 

3.  Panel on Slavic Collections at Harvard 

We will try for a date in March for this program.  Erik Zitser is willing to contact others who could participate on the panel.  We should send dates to Erik for Lamont Forum availability.  Kazuko will talk to Erik about forming a library-wide panel. 

We will see how our upcoming lectures go before trying to schedule others. 

4.  HUL staff participation in upcoming conferences

Patty updated us on conversations with HCL concerning announcements about HUL staff participation in conferences.  HCL is interested in this; one option is for them to do it as a pilot project.  A web template could be developed for HCL, making it easy for staff to report their activities.  The template could be shared with Wadsworth House for HUL.  

5.  Linking to publicly-available library policy pages 

Are there particular policy areas that we would like to start with?  Access policies are frequently asked about.  We may want to wait to see what happens with iSites before pursuing this project.  We could also survey the HU libraries  to see if they have specific policies that they would be willing to share (on Collection Development, Disaster Planning, etc.). 

We should think about types of information that we would like to gather.  Records management is an area of interest.  (This could be a program unto itself.)  Collecting information on Slavic collections is another idea—we could do this as an off-shoot of the Lunch Lecture we are planning. 

Next meeting: Our next meeting will be on Wednesday, Feb. 15th, 1:00-2:00pm.  Kazuko will check to see whether a meeting room is available for us in the Fung Library.