Minutes of the Rights and Responsibilities Committee
November 12, 2004
10:00-11:00AM, Houghton Library green room
Present: Renata Kalnins (Chair), Kim Dulin, Patty Hatch, Elizabeth McKeigue, Erin Wise, Melanie Wisner (minutes)
Absent: Kazuko Sakaguchi
Renata on the last Executive Committee meeting:
On the HUL committees survey:
- She was unable to attend, but her committee report was submitted; given her absence, there was no response to the report.
- Knowledge management among committees given high turnover of membership was discussed.
- The fall Assembly program will focus on Instructional Technology and is scheduled for either 7 or 9 December.
- Renata will work on it and will ask for input where needed.
- The Executive Committee will try to coordinate responses relevant to the overall Librarians' Assembly committee structure, e.g. oversight and control.
Patron Privacy Ethics Program update
- Time and date: Thursday Jan. 20 from 2:00-3:30 has been reserved in the Lamont Forum Room. Discussing Elizabeth's tight schedule that day, it was decided to determine Marilyn Wood's availability before changing the date; Elizabeth will try to speak to Marilyn.
- Titles: while those suggested to date are strong, something even better is sought building on the phrase "What Would You Do?", the ideas of case studies and patron privacy, and the focus on Aleph. Further ideas should circulate quickly.
- Structure: Patty presented her draft framework for the program. If Marilyn Wood is not available for the initial presentation of the Widener "policy" experience, Elizabeth may fill in with Nick Wharton. It should be clear that the Widener work was an effort to create training for students, not public policy, and has been adjusted to accommodate Aleph. During the program, participants should break into small groups of their own choosing to promote comfort in speaking.
- Case studies: the number of cases to present to small groups was discussed. Material may also come from Patty's poll of circulation staff. It was decided that the archival case should be set aside as not relevant to systems or circulation.
- Visuals: suggestions included the ALA Code of Ethics and Renata's ALA links document, on screen as well as in handouts. Patty can handle the visual mode if we can decide content.
- Steps for next meeting: decide title; number of case studies and content; whether to require registration. Patty and Elizabeth will draft announcement to go out before holiday break, with reminder planned for January.
Proposals for next activities
- Access/disabilities program proposal: Erin met with Kim and Elizabeth. Elizabeth will contact Marie Trottier, agreed to be the best presenter available. Rather than suggesting that libraries or staff units are not doing enough, the program should offer information and food for thought, a raising of consciousness. The territory of "reasonable accommodation" to ADA requirements, especially in light of the University's new recruitment and admissions standards, will be of interest. We discussed asking Marie, if she is willing to present, if she might also take questions in advance. We are curious to know if Harvard has a vision or even plan for a system-wide approach. Elizabeth brought up the portal committee work and the necessity of writing web pages that work intelligently with screen readers.
- On the back burner, an archives-focused program on privacy.
- All feel that the two programs currently on the table are substantial and demanding.
Our next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Friday, Dec. 3, at 9:00AM at OIS (pending availability of space)