HOLLIS CIRCULATION LIAISONS MEETING

March 3, 1998 9:15-10:45 OIS Conference Room

Informal meeting notes (MLC)

Introductions

Old Business

  1. Patrons w/notes on their patron record. MC has produced a report showing all patron records with notes. The report clearly shows some inappropriate use of the note field, although the problem does not appear to be extensive. The next question: what to do next?
  2. Scott Britton agreed to go through the list, targeting records that need correction due to clearly inappropriate notes, and will additionally take responsibility for seeing that the records are cleaned up.

  3. Annual circ reports. MC has found annual circulation statistics reports for: Cabot, Divinity, Kennedy School, and Widener. This implies that the following units have not been receiving similar reports: Design, Fine Arts, Gutman, Hilles, Lamont, Littauer, Law, Countway, Music, Physics, Tozzer, and Wolbach. Not knowing the history behind this, we should discuss whether the existing reports would be useful to produce on an annual basis for other service units.
  4. MC to look into why the reports across units are apparently different (Widener's includes detailed stats by patron category, for example, while KSG's report only includes 3 simple statistics). After sorting this out, MC will plan on setting up reports for all service units, with exact formats subject to individual units' preference.

  5. Intralibrary Loan Pilot Project - Update
  6. A discussion arose regarding the announcement in the Jan/Feb 98 issue of the HOLLIS newsletter on the future of the Intra-library Loan Pilot Project. The following is an except from this announcement:

    "The University Library Council (ULC) has decided to continue this service as is through the end of the Spring 1998 semester. This spring the ULC will form a task group to reconsider the future of intra-Harvard book delivery and as a result there may be changes to this service. More information will become available once this task group begins to meet. If you have questions, contact Barbara Graham, Associate Director for Administration and Programs in HUL, Wadsworth House."

    Many people in the group expressed their desire to see this pilot project continue in some form, citing that user response to this service has been very positive. It is suggested that if members of the group have more questions or wish to offer comments about the ILL Pilot Project, they should contact the director of their particular library or Barbara Graham at Wadsworth House.

  7. FY1999 HOLLIS fees.

Also in the latest HOLLIS Newsletter is the FY1999 HOLLIS fee schedule. There are no changes in circulation-related fees. MC also noted that the barcode vendor contract is up for renewal in April (this is an annual renewal), and that there haven't been any changes in a couple of years. Details of this year's barcode pricing will be announced when they become available.

New Business

  1. How do other Circulation supervisors coordinate and manage the student/casual desk coverage. What type of backup system is used if a student fails to show up, etc.? (Debbie Grier).
  2. Tabled, as Debbie was unable to attend this month's meeting.

  3. Phyllis Askey: new Circulation & Access Services Librarian at Law School Library as of 2/17.
  4. Phyllis is the new Circulation Services Librarian at the Law School Library, a position that was formerly held by Sue Parker.

  5. GQL success!
  6. Desiree Goodwin, a relative newcomer to HOLLIS Distributed Reporting, shared a few of her recent circulation and inventory-related reports with the group.

  7. Document delivery across libraries.
  8. Following a question from Sue Leavitt, the group had a lengthy discussion regarding the pros and cons of the document delivery (ed. Note: if anyone would like to summarize this for the group, please send me some text and I'll be glad to include it!)

  9. Under discussion: increase in Widener's access fees

Too soon to announce specifics, as they are still being worked out, but Eddie Doctoroff and Elizabeth Mckeigue noted that access fees are likely to increase for certain categories of special borrowers.

 

Next Meeting: April 7, 1998 -- 9:15-10:45 -- OIS Conference Room

 

 

Completed February Policy and Calendar changes

Service Unit

Date

Reminder

Notes

LW

4-Feb-98

Add "Law Reserve" temp loc

To do: need calendar info

WO

17-Feb-98

Several policy adjustments

To do: investigate change to billing notice

 

Planned March Policy and Calendar changes

Service Unit

Change

Notes

LA

Change recall threshold from 3 to 2

Ready to go; will put into prod this week

LW

Calendar data for 1998

 

March Attendees

First Name

Last Name

Library

Phone#

E-mail

Phyllis

Askey

LAW SCHOOL

6-2108

paskey@law

Judi

Beland

COUNTWAY MEDICINE

2-3202

jbeland@warren.med

Scott

Britton

LAMONT

5-2455

sbritton@fas

Gene

DeVita

TOZZER

5-2253

devita@fas

Eddie

Doctoroff

WIDENER

6-3105

edoctor@fas

Paula

Ebbitt

KENNEDY SCH OF GOV

5-1305

paulae@ksgfin

Desiree

Goodwin

LOEB DESIGN

5-9163

dgoodwin@gsd.harvard.edu

Melissa

Hilbert

WOLBACH OBS (HCO)

6-7601

mhilbert@cfa.harvard.edu

Marc

Keepper

LAW SCHOOL

5-8689

keepper@law.harvard.edu

Susan

Leavitt

LITTAUER

6-1454

sleavitt@fas

Tom

Macdonald

HILLES

5-8722

thmacdon@fas

Elizabeth

McKeigue

WIDENER

6-4023

mckeigue@fas.harvard.edu

 


Circ Liaisons Home Page | HUL Home Page
Please address any corrections or additions to Martha Creedon (
m_creedon@harvard.edu)
rev. 03/09/98