HOLLIS CIRCULATION LIAISONS MEETING

March 2, 1999 9:15-10:45 OIS Conference Room

Informal meeting notes

Introductions

Old Business

  1. HOLLIS 2: Conversion and implementation planning continues. Currently reviewing HOLLIS I policies and defining a mapping and conversion strategy for TAOS. Specs are being written for all record types.
  2. Pseudopatron "indefinite" (09/09/99 due date) loans. In March, all "09/09/99" charges will be converted to 09/09/09. OIS will convert charges to the new date and modify all policies that use this date. Martha will send out email to circ liaisons when the exact dates for policy changes and conversion of live charges are known. Contact Martha Creedon with any questions or concerns. Also, reports of pseudopatron names and id's in use for each patron group are available at this meeting. If a unit is not represented at the meeting, MC will send the report via university mail. This is a good opportunity to do some patron record clean-up. If anyone would like reports of items charged to any of their pseudopatrons, please contact Martha Creedon.

MC distributed reports showing pseudopatron records in use for each patron group. Using these lists, libraries can look up patron records for pseudopatrons for functions such as bindery and LOST (i.e., pseudopatrons that are not special borrowers or actual persons) and make changes as needed to fields such as EXPIRE DATE. There are still a couple of issues that need to be clarified before units make any changes to existing records. MC will send out detailed memo when the questions that came up at the meeting have been clarified. For now, just hold onto the reports.

New Business

  1. Library practice for maintaining a history of searches in HOLLIS records (K. Medin)? Tabled; Karin was not at the meeting.
  2. HOLLIS product delivery question (K. Medin) Tabled; Karin was not at the meeting.
  3. TFSCP (Task Force for Simplifying Circulation Policies). Bill Mayer presented a lively and well-received overview of the recently formed Task Force on the Simplification of Circulation Policies. This task force is charged by the ULC Public Services Committee to review the Circulation Policy Survey data gathered by the PSC and respond to the specific recommendations of the PSC. The report to the PSC from the task group is due on April 15. Bill Mayer will report on the task force progress at the next circulation liaisons meeting, April 6. Bill welcomes comments from interested staff. Bill's email address is wmayer@hbs.edu.
  4.  

  5. Charges to LOST (B. Leung) Tabled; Bruno was not at the meeting.
  6. Email addresses in patron records? (M. Flaherty) We discussed the possibility of manually placing the patron's email address in the patron Note field, but noted that space is tight and we would need to exercise care to avoid overwriting existing notes. Even if this were done, MC noted that there would be no functionality associated with the note. This is an area where we can hope for improvement in HOLLIS II, as TAOS patron records are expected to contain email address data.
  7. How do other units handle cases of patrons claiming that they have returned items that have not been discharged and are not on the shelves? (M. Hilbert) Another interesting discussion with some agreement that mistakes are always possible, so patrons need to be given the benefit of the doubt until more is known about a particular case. There was general agreement as well that a search of the shelves is necessary in cases where patrons claim to have returned an item. Items can get back to the shelves without having been discharged, or they can be mis-shelved, or sometimes patrons return them directly to the shelves, perhaps hoping to avoid overdue fines. In a related matter, it was pointed out that when patrons claim they never even checked out a particular item, it's possible that the items were charged to the wrong patron id, perhaps because the circ operator did not clear a previous patron's id from the charge screen instead of initiating a new charge session with a new patron id.
  8. When creating patron records for "special borrowers" do other units create subrecords to existing HR records, or create separate records? (M. Hilbert) Practice varied across libraries. MC will investigate further to see if there is a preferred practice.
  9. Other? Eddie Doctoroff (Widener) announced that Harvard ID's or Widener passes are now required to enter Widener. This move is intended to increase security and reduce distraction caused by omnipresent tourist traffic.

Next Meeting: April 6, 1999 -- 9:15-10:45 - OIS Conference Room

Completed February Policy changes

Service Unit

Service Unit

Reminder

WO

2/17/99

Policy clean-up for Wolbach-eliminated conflicting/duplicate policies

Planned March Policy changes: none on regular schedule

 

March Attendees

First Name

Last Name

Library

Phone#

E-mail

Judi

Beland

COUNTWAY MEDICINE

2-3202

jbeland@warren.med.harvard.edu

Scott

Britton

LAMONT

5-2455

sbritton@fas.harvard.edu

Gene

DeVita

TOZZER

5-2253

devita@fas.harvard.edu

Eddie

Doctoroff

WIDENER

6-3105

edoctor@fas.harvard.edu

Paula

Ebbitt

KENNEDY SCH OF GOV

5-1305

paula_ebbitt@harvard.edu

Marcella

Flaherty

GUTMAN EDUCATION

5-3421

flaherma@hugse1.harvard.edu

Desiree

Goodwin

LOEB DESIGN

5-9163

dgoodwin@gsd.harvard.edu

Deb

Grier

FINE ARTS

6-1943

grier@fas.harvard.edu

Melissa

Hilbert

WOLBACH OBS (HCO)

6-7601

mhilbert@cfa.harvard.edu

Susan

Leavitt

LITTAUER

6-1454

sleavitt@fas.harvard.edu

Tom

Macdonald

HILLES

5-8722

thmacdon@fas.harvard.edu

Bill

Mayer

BAKER BUSINESS

5-6377

wmayer@hbs.edu

Elizabeth

McKeigue

WIDENER

6-4023

mckeigue@fas.harvard.edu

Louise

Ragno

KUMMEL GEOLOGICAL SCI

5-2029

lragno@fas.harvard.edu

Anne

Tanguay

HILLES

5-8722

tanguay@fas.harvard.edu


Circ Liaisons Home Page | HUL Home Page
Please address any corrections or additions to Martha Creedon (
m_creedon@harvard.edu)
rev. 03/02/99