HOLLIS CIRCULATION LIAISONS MEETING

October 5, 1999 9:15-10:45 OIS Conference Room

Informal Meeting Notes

Introductions

Old Business

  1. New Circ libraries - status:
  2. MC: Chem is up; [at meeting time I did not know Chem was actively using system as of yet, but I have since learned that they are in fact now using online circ]. Littauer Reserve and Morse Music reserve are up and running, with some remaining security issues to resolve at Morse. Rubel is barcoding.

  3. Year-end ("Christmas week") planning.
  4. MC: Specific plans by OIS have not yet been determined. A couple of questions were tossed around at the meeting: If the products were made available for pick-up at OIS, would units be staffed to pick them up? Do you anticipate sufficient activity this week to justify staffing for delivery? There was mixed response:

    Kummel will not be open, so this is not an issue for them.

    Hilles will be open Dec 28-30 (Tue-Thu) and although there will be no reserve overdues, there will be other notices and bills that they would like to be able to pick up and process if possible.

    Likewise, Design will be open but minimally staffed, and notices may not be an issue for them.

    Widener - undetermined; will be open Tues-Thu 9-5 with minimal staffing. MC to contact Elizabeth McKeigue after Elizabeth returns from vacation next week. Eddie Doctoroff noted that charge activity will probably be fairly light, but that products activity may be high (overdues, notices of lost items, bills, etc.).

    Wolbach does not have same schedule as Harvard (because it is a Smithsonian institution), and will be open that week. They would not be sufficiently staffed, however, to pick up products at OIS. They would require the library messenger service. They wouldprefer to receive products if given a choice.

    Countway receives products electronically and prints them locally, so this is not an issue for them.

    If other units have input to contribute, please let Martha know as soon as possible. Also, if you have not sent in calendar changes for this time period (many units have "No books due" during this period even though they might actually be open) please do so soon.

  5. Frequency of patron weeds: quarterly; last one was at the beginning of September. MC still needs to do more followup - what is criteria for the weeds? Delete date? Different rules for different patron groups or categories?
  6.  

     

Policy table changes in September and October

New Business

  1. Bad charge times between 11:20 and midnight at reserves service units.
  2. "... the problem begins precisely at 11:20 (possibly 20 seconds after) and ends at midnight. It apparently affects every reserve charge made in that interval, but on the days for which I have data (Monday and Tuesday) the only libraries that have such transactions are Hilles and Lamont.

    This phenomenon is likely due to a bug introduced during the CICS upgrade. I am giving its extermination high priority and will let you know when I believe it to be gone. That will probably be next week at the earliest. Meanwhile, advise your workers about the procedure to follow, and relay our apologies for the inconvenience.' (C.H., 9/30)

  3. Other?

Design (D. Goodwin) requested a products text change; it's not clear that we can do this at least until January when we expect to have a couple of additional service units. MC will look into it. Meanwhile Design could also look into having rubber stamp made for the needed text: (in this case, "MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO HARVARD UNIVERSITY.")

Desiree also had a question about the wording of recall overdues; Eddie Doctoroff indicated that this territory might have been covered years back - and that the text cannot be changed; MC to investigate and report back.

Tozzer (G. Devita) had a question about the new 33-digit accounting codes and HOLLIS circ/billing. Others mentioned that when dealing with A/R, for example making deposits of fines collected, units do have to supply the new codes. MC mentioned that OIS is looking into whether changes are needed in our programs/tables for this and will report back. We have not specifically been contacted by A/R or Term Bill offices to make changes, but perhaps changes need to be investigated nonetheless.

 

October Attendees

First Name

Last Name

Library

Phone#

E-mail

Gene

DeVita

TOZZER

5-2253

devita@fas.harvard.edu

Eddie

Doctoroff

WIDENER

6-3105

edoctor@fas.harvard.edu

Desiree

Goodwin

LOEB DESIGN

5-9163

Dgoodwin@gsd.harvard.edu

Deb

Grier

FINE ARTS

6-1943

grier@fas.harvard.edu

Melissa

Hilbert

WOLBACH OBS (HCO)

6-7601

mhilbert@cfa.harvard.edu

Tom

Macdonald

HILLES

5-8722

Thmacdon@fas.harvard.edu

Louise

Ragno

KUMMEL GEOLOGICAL SCI

5-2029

lragno@fas.harvard.edu

Anne

Tanguay

HILLES

5-8722

tanguay@fas.harvard.edu

 

Completed September Policy changes:

Service Unit

Date Needed

Change

All

9/9

change undg address hierarchy back to LPSO

Hilles

9/9

Allow circ of CDRO at Hilles regular

Design

9/10

set des 3x/year CARREL due date to February 1

Several

9/14

Modifications to products text per indiv. library requests

Law

9/15

change law 3x/year subc /carr due date from 9/15 TO 1/15, effective 9/15

Widener

9/16

Change Widener default policy

Law

9/27

Stop production of SEARCH notices

Planned October Policy changes

Library Unit

Date Needed

Change

WO

10/29

change wol 2x/year due date from 11/30 to 5/30

 

Next Meeting: November 2, 1999 -- 9:15-10:45 - OIS Conference Room


Circ Liaisons Home Page | HUL Home Page
Please address any corrections or additions to Martha Creedon (
m_creedon@harvard.edu)
rev. 10/05/99