HOLLIS Administrative Advisory Committee
October 21, 1998

Contents:
1.   HOLLIS II Update
2.   HOLLIS Plus Recommendation to Eliminate Long Descriptions
3.   Preliminary Discussion on Catalog Coherence
4.   Other Updates
4.a. HOLLIS Plus Working Group
4.b. Bib Standards
4.c. SSHUSH
5.   Other Business

Attending: Bob Buckwalter, Michael Fitzgerald, Tracey Robinson, Lynne Schmelz (chair), Ann Sitkin, Dorothy Solbrig, Mark Van Baalen, Judy Warnement
Absent: Marianne Burke, Carrie Kent, Ted Pappadopoulos
Guest: Robin Wendler
Recording: Helen Schmierer

1. HOLLIS II

Tracey Robinson reported that Harvard and DRA have agreed to extend the Letter of Intent process to January 4, 1999, which is the new target date for contract signing. The extension specifies a number of deliverables DRA is to complete by that date and also specifies that Harvard will sign a contract to license TAOS following a successful implementation of TAOS at UCLA. The extension and matters related to it were described in an October 15, 1998, HULINFO memo from Dale Flecker to the Harvard library community.

Meanwhile, OIS staff are continuing to move ahead with work related to HOLLIS II. The checklists prepared by Harvard library staff are in final states of negotiation with DRA and planning for data conversion continues. OIS continues work required for the phased implementation schedule of Public Catalog, Circulation and Reserves in summer 1999 and all other functions in summer 2000. DRA has agreed to supply Harvard with a new test system that will include the software in use at UCLA. For immediate, initial testing, OIS will borrow a multiprocessor from the ADAPT project. Once the test system is in place, DRA will provide training session in November for OIS staff.

In response to questions from HAAC members, T. Robinson reported that other anticipated implementations of TAOS include those at the University of California-Santa Barbara, Wispals (a Wisconsin consortium), the University of San Antonio, the Minnesota Library Information Network (MnLINK), and the Tacoma Public Library. She also noted that there is a DRA Users Group and that at the invitation of DRA an ARL group of users met with DRA this September.

Referring to D. Flecker's HULINFO memo, T. Robinson said that some new task groups will be formed to begin planning for HOLLIS II circulation and public catalog implementations. T. Robinson added that work of the original HOLLIS II task groups that prepared the functional needs checklists is by and large completed.

2. HOLLIS Plus Recommendation to Eliminate Long Descriptions

Beginning his remarks by noting that the HOLLIS Plus Working Group (HPWG) had not seen or discussed the proposal to eliminate long descriptions, Michael Fitzgerald said that he believed the removal of most long descriptions would be acceptable. There are circumstances, however, when long descriptions should be retained, e.g., for the Patrologia Latina Database, and for Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe, two services for which Harvard library staff have prepared detailed search guides. M. Fitzgerald acknowledged that now most resources provide service descriptions and search guidance on their web pages.

In the discussion that followed, usage of long descriptions and the impact their removal was explored; M. Fitzgerald reported that use of long description pages is low. The configuration of the roles of OIS for technical support and of resources sponsors for descriptions was considered. Given the investment that the University is making in electronic resources, M. Fitzgerald advanced the view that it is important for HUL to provide adequate central support for these valuable resources.

HAAC agreed that some long descriptions would remain in HOLLIS Plus (the retention decisions being made ad hoc) and that other long descriptions will be removed from HOLLIS (to be effect by removing the link to More Details). It was agreed that M. Fitzgerald and Ivy Anderson would post a memo about these changes to HULINFO.

Questions about the relationship of HOLLIS Plus to HOLLIS II were raised. Interest was expressed in having the two resources integrated. T. Robinson noted that Stacy Kowalczyk and Caren Smith will be working on public aspects of HOLLIS II and suggested that HAAC might want to invite them to next month's meeting to provide a summary of their plans. M. Fitzgerald added that he thought worth pursuing I. Anderson's suggestion that the sponsor of each resource assume responsibility for responding to the user comments and monitoring changes in resource content and coverage.

3. Preliminary Discussion on Catalog Coherence

Robin Wendler gave an informal presentation on "catalog coherence." By end of term, four HUL-supported data sources will be available: HOLLIS, HOLLIS Plus, VIA - Visual Information Access, and the Digital Finding Aids Project. Each source needs to link to others when appropriate and to support navigation among the sources. What are the links and types of links needed? How can these sources be brought together coherently when they are spanning libraries, museums and archives and the different types of information that each maintains? Does the need to define policies require a new committee or should the charge to Bibliographic Standards Subcommittee be expanded?

R. Wendler asked if HAAC sees other aspects of "curators of records" that require attention before a white paper on catalog coherence is drafted. In response, linking and changing of links including URLs, merging or linking data prepared under different standards or without attention to standards, and vocabularies were suggested as topics for consideration.

4.   Other Updates
4.a. HOLLIS Plus Working Group (HPWG)

M. Fitzgerald reported that current activities of the group are overseeing the addition of resources to HOLLIS Plus and bringing Ivy Anderson into process. As Julie Wetherill's involvement with HOLLIS Plus diminishes, there is one area of concern: How should user comments be handled? Currently J. Wetherill receives all comments and forwards them appropriately; the timely response to user comments and queries is an important public service.

OIS will continue to analyze how best to provide this service and, as necessary, will bring recommended changes to HAAC.

4.b. HAAC Standing Subcommittee on Bibliographic Standards and Policy

Ann Sitkin reported briefly on a October Bib Standards meeting noting that the group had discussed and approved a proposal to adjust URL information in some records so that the HOLLIS Web interface would be able to determine where the URL data ended.

4.c. HAAC Standing Subcommittee on User Services in HOLLIS (SSHUSH)

Dorothy Solbrig reported that SSHUSH had not met since the last HAAC meeting.

5. Other Business

Questions were raised. What are potential roles for HAAC vis à vis HOLLIS II? How can HAAC help? What role is appropriate?


Top
Return to the HAAC Home Page
rev. 12/9/98