HOLLIS Administrative Advisory Committee
Meeting 72
December 21 1994

1. HOLLIS Plus Updates
2. Search Engine Evaluation Committee Update
3. FETCHERRS Update
4. HOLLIS Distributed Reporting Update
5. LISH Update
6. User Comment Facility
7. Goverment Documents Update
8. RECON Authority Processing Update
9. Special Collections Task Force

Attending:

Bob Buckwalter, Michael Fitzgerald, Rodney Goins, Carrie Kent, Kathy Klemperer, Eva Moseley, Ted Pappadopoulos, Jon Rothman, Lynne Schmelz (chair), Hinda Sklar, Dorothy Solbrig, Mark Van Baalen, Judy Warnement, Robin Wendler (recording)

Absent: Marianne Burke

Future Meetings:

     February 15,  10:00-12:00     OIS Conference Room
     March 22, 10:00-12:00         OIS Conference Room
     April 19,  10:00-12:00        OIS Conference Room
     May 17,  10:00-12:00          OIS Conference Room
     June 21, 10:00-12:00          OIS Conference Room

1. HOLLIS Plus Updates

Kathy distributed December HOLLIS Plus statistics to date, which show use increasing significantly. Failed connections are primarily timeouts caused by slowness in the network or at the remote host. OIS has increased the length of time before timeout occurs and added the message 'crtl-x to exit' to the screen during the waiting period for a connection. With this message, users should always know they have the option to cancel the connection attempt. A gender studies link is being added to the subject listing. OIS is in the process of developing the search-and -launch facility. A number of resources, including hte CIA World Fact Book, Shakespeare plays, the Bible, and the Dartmouth Dante Project, will be added once a minor operating system limitation is removed. [This has since been done.]

2. Search Engine Evaluation Committee Update

The SEEC committee visited MIT to hear about its implementation of OCLC's SiteSearch software, which has been used in MIT's TULIP project. The software, which OCLC sells to institutions to mount on local servers, appears to be powerful and flexible, but is not yet well-documented or easy to configure. The committee will investigate PAT from Open Text Corporation, an application which has a good reputation for full text retrieval. The committee hopes to set up a PAT presentation in the next month or so. The committee is continuing to develop the list of search engine desiderata and to mark requirements, as well as beginning a list of data such as finding aids, outstanding grant proposals, etc., which would be appropriate for mounting on such a server.

3. FETCHERRS Update

OIS and the FETCHERRS committee (on user initiated retrieval of materials from Harvard Depository) are still defining the boundaries of the project, and are grappling with the question of delivering materials to non-owning libraries. The HD Council is discussing this question, which must be resolved before much programming can take place.

4. HOLLIS Distributed Reporting Update

The pilot phase of distributed reporting is underway, most pilot users have been trained and have software installed. Performance has been good so far. The database update process is awkward and time-consuming, however, and OIS is rethinking the process to make it more efficient. The pilot will run through the end of January. The charge wil be $30 per month per signon through the end of this fiscal year.

5. LISH Update

Jon Rothman is planning a keyword qualification stress test for early January. [The test has been done and results will be discussed at the January HAAC meeting.]

6. User Comment Facility

Approximately 1-2 messages a day are coming in, of which at least half are purchase suggestions. The rest are predominantly reports of HOLLIS errors and the occasional reference question. Ed Tallent has reported that it takes 1-2 hours per week to monitor, forward, and track the comments, and that staff have responded well. A line needs to be added to the purchase request screen for which the library should purchase the item. SSHUSH is being asked to review the screen. The COMMENT command does not yet appear in the options area of HOLLIS screens; that is expected in the next month or so. [The COMMENT command now appears in the options area.]

7. Goverment Documents Update

Diane Garner and Robin Wendler are writing the detailed functional specifications for the project, and programming is scheduled to begin in January. Diane will be profiling Harvard's receipts in coordination with the Law School, and OIS will coordinate implementation with her.

8. RECON Authority Processing Update

HOLLIS series authority records and HOLLIS bibliographic records containing MeSH or series headings have been sent to OCLC for processing, due to be completed in February. This will complete the contracted software development. From this point on, OCLC will process all covered headings (i.e., headings other than conferences or uniform titles) within a few months of each record being added to HOLLIS. [OCLC has been unable to get a complete and accurate MeSH file from NLM, and therefore the MeSH corrections will be delayed. A new target date has not yet been set.]

9. Special Collections Task Force

A the last meeting, the group discussed possible follow-up options for the Automation Planning Committee's Special Collections Task Force Report. HAAC recommends that an open meeting with the repositories be scheduled when the other HOLLIS II functional groups have met, so that all the reports can be seen in context. Mark Van Baalen is working with Leslie Morris on keeping the museum community apprised of the library community plans.


Top

Return to the HAAC Home Page

rev. 4/26/96