HOLLIS Administrative Advisory Committee
Meeting 78
November 22, 1995

1. Electronic Journals
2. Library Home Pages
3. Authority Control Recommendation from Bib Standards
4. Updates
4a. Network changes
4b. Keyword qualification
4c. SEIC, Finding Aids
4d. Fetcherrs
4e. Government Documents
4f. RLIN Load
4g. HOLLIS Plus
4h. SSHUSH
4i. BSP

Attending:

Bob Buckwalter, Marianne Burke, Michael Fitzgerald, Carrie Kent, Kathy Klemperer, Eva Moseley, Jon Rothman, Lynne Schmelz (chair), Dorothy Solbrig, Mark Van Baalen, Judy Warnement, Robin Wendler (recording)

Absent: Ted Pappadopoulos, Hinda Sklar, Rod Goins

Future Meetings:

January 17, 10:00-12:00 OIS Conference Room March 20, 10:00-12:00 OIS Conference Room April 17, 10:00-12:00 OIS Conference Room May 15, 10:00-12:00 OIS Conference Room June 19, 10:00-12:00 OIS Conference Room

1. Electronic Journals

Michael Fitzgerald, on behalf of the HOLLIS Plus Working Group (HPWG), described some of the many electronic journal initiatives with which Harvard is or may become involved. The variety of formats, access models, and financial models associated with electronic journals raise many new challenges for Harvard libraries. HPWG asked that a task force be set up to gather information, explore the issues, and to develop guidelines where possible for the treatment of electronic journals at Harvard. While such a paper could not be prescriptive, it could identify the questions that need to be asked about electronic resources and provide some guidance in addressing them. Kathy noted that there was a precedent in the Digitization White Paper Committee, which will set up a framework for decision-making about the inclusion of a digitization component in reformatting projects.

HAAC agreed that a task force on electronic journal issues would be valuable, and discussed which university-wide committee should sponsor it. Lynne agreed to raise the question with the Automation Planning Committee.

2. Library Home Pages

Kathy announced the formation of a HUL Home Page Group, charged with figuring out what should be on HUL unit home pages, that is, what should be our face to the world? There are questions about how to provide support for those groups which lack local technical support, and how to establish permissions and links among a mix of resources which may be public or purely local.

Michael Fitzgerald noted that the college also has a group examining local web issues. David Pfarrer has put a web server on the HCL Lan, with three areas: public, private, and test bed. The group has met twice. There is a recognized need for standards and prescriptive guidelines, as well as provisions for content review. The group has not yet talked about the organization of pages per se.

Kathy and Michael will come back to HAAC with a proposal for home page organization drawn from the experiences of both groups.

3. Authority Control Recommendation from Bib Standards

The Standing Subcommittee on Bibliographic Standards and Policy forwarded a recommendation to HAAC for ULC that the OCLC authority control process be funded after the retrospective conversion contract ends at the end of calendar year 1996. Through the service, new and substantially changed bibliographic records are sent to OCLC, where the headings (with the exception of conference names and uniform titles) are reviewed, common errors are corrected, and corresponding Library of Congress and MeSH authority records are sent to Harvard. In addition, a variety of reports are produced which help local staff keep the HOLLIS database up to date.

BSP members agreed that while the OCLC service does not substitute for the initial authority work on a heading, it saves staff time in revision of cataloging, in creating and updating authority records in HOLLIS, in aiding ongoing database maintenance, and particularly in providing some measure of authority control over the increasing numbers of records added to the union catalog without cataloger review.

The commercial authority control market was surveyed during the development stage of the recon project in 1991-92. OCLC's service as as good as or better than anything else available at that time, and offered processing flexibility that other vendors did not. Infrastructure was added to HOLLIS to support the OCLC process, and comparable though different infrastructure would be required for any other vendor's service. Given the limited life expectancy of HOLLIS, BSP did not recommend comparing authority vendors at this time. However, they did recommend that all authority vendors be surveyed in preparation for HOLLIS 2. HAAC strongly supported this position.

HAAC approved the recommendation to be passed to ULC, asking that the proposal more clearly state that the service is currently paid for out of central recon project money, as well as adding what the impact would be if the service were not supported.

4. Updates

4a. Network changes

Mark Van Baalen announced an information technology reorganization. As of January, OIT and the Administrative Data Project will report to Provost Carnesale. There will be an upgraded, maintained university backbone. Carmody Quinn has developed a network re-engineering plan to upgrade the network, including 7x24 support, automated network management, modernized equipment, and increased internet capacity. Weekly technical updates are available via an electronic distribution list.

4b. Keyword qualification

Jon announced that the limited set of keyword qualifiers as approved earlier this year will go into effect on December 5, with fliers for the public on December 6. The qualifiers available will be

     by language         except, no la=eng
     by format             except, no fo=bks
     by single year
     by decade             e.g. 196?

Theses qualifiers will be available only in the HU database to start with. If the impact is within an acceptable range, they can later be broadened to include other databases.

4c. SEIC, Finding Aids

Kathy explained that the Finding Aids project had been held up waiting for a revised DTD which is now available. The archivists are buying SGML markup software (WordPerfect SGML edition) and converting their finding aids.

The web version of HOLLIS Plus was the first step of the SEIC project, including developing access control for Physical Review Letters Online. The SEIC machine is now here, the SiteSearch software site license has been negotiated, and the next step will be the development of a web interface for FirstSearch (INSPEC).

4d. Fetcherrs

HOLLIS programming is being completed, Julie Wetherill is working on outreach with libraries. The end of January is the new target date.

4e. Government Documents

HOLLIS programming has been completed. Government Documents staff are continuing to work with the vendors on the Harvard profile. We expect to begin loading records in January.

4f. RLIN load

Harvard and RLIN have agreed on the model for record exchange, and the necessary programming is scheduled to be done in January.

4g. HOLLIS Plus

Improved features and new resources were recently announced in HULINFO. Julie Wetherill is answering questions from the HOLLIS Plus comment box.

4h. SSHUSH

OIS asked whether it could stop distributing documentation for HOLLIS Plus resources in paper form. SSHUSH still wants paper documentation available, but is willing for OIS to make a wordprocessed document available via FTP which libraries could download and print as necessary. OIS will continue to print master copies for libraries without FTP access.

4i. BSP

In addition to the authority control service recommendation discussed earlier, Bib Standards has been concluding old business, including distributing several documents developed earlier: the revised HUL Bibliographic Standard, guidelines on the use of form/genre headings in HOLLIS, and guidelines for cataloging electronic resources. BSP also wrote a statement on the training of catalogers in one person libraries and reviewed format integration issues with OIS.


Top

Return to the HAAC Home Page

rev. 4/30/96