HOLLIS Administrative Advisory Committee
Meeting 79
January 17, 1996

1. Electronic Journals Overview
2. HOLLIS Plus
2a. Library Home Pages
2b. Cataloging of HOLLIS Plus resources
3. Updates
3a. SEIC, Finding Aids
3b. DUC revisited
3c. Fetcherrs
3d. Government Documents
3e. Format integration
3f. Keyword qualification
3g. SSHUSH
3h. BSP

Attending:

Bob Buckwalter, Marianne Burke, Carrie Kent, Kathy Klemperer, Eva Moseley, Jon Rothman, Lynne Schmelz (chair), Hinda Sklar, Dorothy Solbrig, Mark Van Baalen, Judy Warnement, Robin Wendler (recording)

Absent: Michael Fitzgerald, Ted Pappadopoulos, Rod Goins

Future Meetings:

     March 20, 10:00-12:00    OIS Conference Room
     April 17, 10:00-12:00    OIS Conference Room
     May 15, 10:00-12:00      OIS Conference Room
     June 19, 10:00-12:00     OIS Conference Room

1. Electronic Journals Overview

Kathy Klemperer repeated the presentation on electronic journals that she gave to the Automation Planning Committee at its November 29, 1995 meeting. Comprehensive notes by MacKenzie Smith on the presentation were published in the APC minutes and distributed on HULINFO on December 19.

2. HOLLIS Plus

2a. Library Home Pages

The HUL administration set up a task force to consider what kind of presence HUL should have on the Web, and their discussions have grown into a proposal which goes beyond staff-focused administrative needs to cover the design of a public Web presence for the University libraries as well. The proposed structure calls for a high-level page containing a brief description of the libraries at Harvard with links to individual pages arranged by faculty, library name, etc. Some pages are intended for staff use only -- these will point to the public pages but will not be pointed to by them.

HAAC approves the proposed structure, and asks the HOLLIS Plus Working Group to oversee its implementation.

2b. Cataloging of HOLLIS Plus resources

There is a need to ensure that HOLLIS Plus resources are coherently and consistently cataloged in HOLLIS. Recently, finding a sponsoring library to commit to cataloging the resource has been added to the checklist for making a new resource available in HOLLIS Plus. Michael Fitzgerald was planning to develop policies and guidelines for this cataloging. Ann Sitkin pointed out that BSP has been working on the broader issue of cataloging network resources in HOLLIS for some time, and expressed a preference for coordination on this topic. HAAC recommends that cataloging issues be resolved by BSP and HPWG together, with HAAC members notified when resulting policies are completed.

3. Updates

3a. SEIC, Finding Aids:

The evaluation copy of SiteSearch is installed. Although Finding Aids was slated to be the first project, the ongoing development of the DTD has delayed it. Instead, OIS will work on the design of a user interface for Web access to INSPEC. This will begin as a generic prototype with several iterations, followed by customization for the INSPEC database.

3b. DUC revisited

In March 1995, HAAC reviewed the available options for a HOLLIS backup during a short- to mid-term outage. The microfiche DUC had become more and more expensive to produce and was very rarely used, while the previously proposed alternative of using RLIN as a backup fell through due to the length of time it would take RLG to load the existing HOLLIS database (years). The planned new search engine provided another prospect. Kathy felt that by fall she would be better able to say when a backup could be available on this new platform. HAAC decided not to reproduce the DUC, but to wait until fall 1995 see what the timeframe might be for mounting a backup locally on SiteSearch.

Tackling the subject again, HAAC reviewed the possibilities. There have been some delays in implementing SiteSearch which make it difficult to say when a HOLLIS backup might be available there. Nonetheless, HAAC found it difficult to justify the expense of producing a new DUC supplement, given the extreme reluctance of patrons to use it during short-term outages and the prospect of using the business resumption plan in the event of a more serious outage. HAAC members also noted that most of their outages are not due to HOLLIS being down, but to local network failures, when patrons can access the catalog from home or from another library.

HAAC agreed to forward its decision not to produce a DUC supplement to ULC, along with an estimate of a supplement's cost.

3c. Fetcherrs:

Still projected to be in production at the end of January.

3d. Government Documents:

This project is expected to be in production by the next HAAC meeting.

3e. Format integration:

The Library of Congress, OCLC, and RLIN are still planning to implement the final phase of format integration in March 1996. OIS is currently working on the input, editing, and display of the new repeatable 006 field, as well as on all the programs which convert bibliographic data coming into and going out of HOLLIS. OIS will schedule a public meeting on the impact of format integration for technical services staff in late February.

3f. Keyword qualification

OIS has found that 1-2% of keyword searches in HOLLIS are qualified -- the same percentage as qualified string searches. There is a much higher percentage in HULPR sessions, so staff may be using it heavily. OIS will be watching to see if this use decreases over time. There is some impact on response time, but at this point it is acceptable.

3g. SSHUSH:

SSHUSH has been working on FETCHERRS' screens.

3h. BSP:

Ruth Haas will be joining BSP in her role as chair of the Standing Subcommittee on Serials, Series, and Continuations.

The OCLC Authority proposal approved by HAAC at its last meeting has also been approved by ULC. ULC will fund the service for the lifetime of HOLLIS.

The Guidelines for Cataloging Network Resources are ready for distribution.

Top

Return to the HAAC Home Page

rev. 4/26/96